Start a new topic
Answered

A few developer questions

I've been playing around with my own app a little and have the following questions/points:

1. Sometimes the web-based simulator shows live data, sometimes it shows the default data. Why? How is this controlled?
  2. Does your default data need to contain the same frames in it as your live data, or can your live data be a completely different format?
  3. I suggest you make the JSON "Data format" field in the app builder editable so you can try out your own JSON and check it's valid and works as expected in the simulator
  4. How do devices get their app updated to the latest version? I've been uninstalling and installing again.
  5. An 'absolute max value' for the sparkline would be useful to me, so you can see progress towards a set value. Equally, the sparkline with auto-max as it currently is is great, so I'd like to keep both options.
  6. How do you make LaMetric make a noise/notification? Eg on a push event?
  7. It took me a while to figure out that the button app doesn't do anything with the response. If the response is a set of frames, should it not display them? What did you have in mind for this type of app?
  8. Is it possible to disconnect lametric from one wifi and connect to another without resetting it?

In general, well done on creating such a unique and innovative product - and very polished for a first batch. The Android app has a fantastic interface and the setup is great.

Best Answer

Hi R W,

Let me answer you questions.

1. It depends on app type - push or poll. For poll apps simulator makes requests for new data every 30 seconds. Default data is displayed when no new data is available for some reason. Push app should usually display new data almost immediately.
  2. Actually the structure has to be the same but you can provide less frames than you have in order to update information partially. "index" property is used to know which frame to update.
  3. "Data format" field should not be editable. It is selectable to make copying of the text easier. If it is editable – this may be a bug. Which browser do you use?
  4. Once in 10 hours device checks if it has some app updates. So usually if you do nothing all apps will be updated the next day. You can actually trigger the update by opening the app info screen (there is "i" action on top when app options are open). 
  5. The problem with sparkling is that there is only 8 pixels in height to draw a sparkline. If max is high enough - you will not be able to see lower values. For that exact purpose we use "Goal" frame type that displays number or text value together with horizontal bar that represents progress. But probably in some cases max value for sparkling makes sense. We will think about that.
  6. Almost each app has "Notify" option at the very bottom of its settings (in some apps you should scroll options to see it). So checking the "Notify" option allows you to choose Notification sound that will be used to notify you about changes.
  7. Actually button app should give you a hint for some use cases you may have. But, if you need to display information and at the same time trigger actions – there is an ability to add action to your Indicator app that acts in the same way as Button app do. In this case after each action triggered new poll request is triggered as well.
  8. Sure. Just go to "Settings"-> Wi-Fi of your LaMetric (within the app) and choose "Forget this network" button. LaMetric should go immediately into hot spot mode. After that connect it to your new wi-fi as you usually did.

Thank you, hope it helps.

2 people have this question
1 Comment

Answer

Hi R W,

Let me answer you questions.

1. It depends on app type - push or poll. For poll apps simulator makes requests for new data every 30 seconds. Default data is displayed when no new data is available for some reason. Push app should usually display new data almost immediately.
  2. Actually the structure has to be the same but you can provide less frames than you have in order to update information partially. "index" property is used to know which frame to update.
  3. "Data format" field should not be editable. It is selectable to make copying of the text easier. If it is editable – this may be a bug. Which browser do you use?
  4. Once in 10 hours device checks if it has some app updates. So usually if you do nothing all apps will be updated the next day. You can actually trigger the update by opening the app info screen (there is "i" action on top when app options are open). 
  5. The problem with sparkling is that there is only 8 pixels in height to draw a sparkline. If max is high enough - you will not be able to see lower values. For that exact purpose we use "Goal" frame type that displays number or text value together with horizontal bar that represents progress. But probably in some cases max value for sparkling makes sense. We will think about that.
  6. Almost each app has "Notify" option at the very bottom of its settings (in some apps you should scroll options to see it). So checking the "Notify" option allows you to choose Notification sound that will be used to notify you about changes.
  7. Actually button app should give you a hint for some use cases you may have. But, if you need to display information and at the same time trigger actions – there is an ability to add action to your Indicator app that acts in the same way as Button app do. In this case after each action triggered new poll request is triggered as well.
  8. Sure. Just go to "Settings"-> Wi-Fi of your LaMetric (within the app) and choose "Forget this network" button. LaMetric should go immediately into hot spot mode. After that connect it to your new wi-fi as you usually did.

Thank you, hope it helps.
Login or Signup to post a comment